Friday, May 30, 2008

Dad! Where is my zucchini?

I got home from the station around 8:30 or so. It was a pretty quiet night, no real tragedies. I had told Hannah we could go in the pool when I got home and after I mowed the lawn. Kim was awaiting me to relieve her so she could recuperate. Kim stayed home from school today because she has been battling a bad upper respiratory infection this past week. I think she is kicking it though, because Kim had made pancakes and we enjoyed a nice breakfast together. It even felt like a weekend all of us being together. Later, after brekafast I went to use the bathroom and of course that is when Hannah likes to talk to us the most. Why she wants to talk to me while I am sitting on the john is beyond me. Sorry to give you that gross visual! Anyway, Hannah comes in and she is asking me " Where is my zucchini?" I am thinking to myself, why in the world does this kid want zucchini at nine in the morning? I am completely at a loss for words but she keeps asking me. I said, go ask mommy, it is in the fridge. She looks at me like I am nuts and then it dawns on me. She wants her BIKINI. Wow that is too cute!!! I laughed all morning about that one. I explained to her through the tears of laughter that we would get her bikini after I was done cutting the lawn.
After cutting the lawn I found Hannah and we went swimming for about an hour or so in the pool. We had fun and I put on a happy face for my little girl. You see, lately the pool has not been the same for me. I find myself really tense while swimming and playing in the pool with Hannah. I really want her to learn how to swim now. On Memorial Day, I had to work. My crew and I ran a very tragic call near the Fire station. A baby boy wandered out a sliding glass door to the pool area and squeezed passed the pool gate. He was found by his family, face down in the family pool. We were on scene within minutes and myself and 4 of the best medics in the department worked on this baby feverishly, until a medical helicopter arrived and took him to a pediatric trauma center in Tampa, where he later passed away. I feel so much pain for that family. I can't imagine losing a child to such a terrible accident. I ran through a gamut of emotions since then. I was angry, profoundly sad, fearful and so confused by it all. Drownings are the leading cause of death in 1-4 year olds in Florida. These calls are never easy and I am afraid they will never stop. I think of the Chapman family and how tragic the death of little Maria has been. I often question God, Why? When I do that I read the book of Job and it helps me to make some sense of it all. The bottomline is, go hug your kids and please watch them. You can not possibly watch them every moment but try and do all you can to prevent accidents. Here is a good site http://www.safekids.org/tips/tips.html . I hope you did not get down from this post. Go reread the zuchhini stuff again! Love you guys.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

OH, I just feel sick about the drowning- I don't know how you handle those types of calls- such a tragedy. On a sunny note, the picture of your princess is just adorable!!!