Sunday, September 7, 2008

It has been awhile

Sorry that it has been so long since I have blogged. There has been so much going on in our lives. Our family has had many memorable moments and one sad moment recently. First my Maternal Grandfather died on August 22nd. He was 82 and his health had been failing in recent years due to Congestive heart failure. Thankfully he died peacefully at home with his wife by his side. I am thankful he did not suffer or die in a hospital bed. He would not have wanted to go that way. I saw him last September when he came to Florida to visit with us. We had a very nice visit. He met our precious Hannah for the first time and he enjoyed every minute he spent with her. Hannah loved her GG and I am glad that she was able to meet him and spend time with her Great Grandpa. He went home to California and went on and on about Hannah which did not surprise me when his wife and her children shared this with me at his funeral. Hannah has that effect on people. We traveled to New York for the funeral where he wanted to be laid to rest. The Fire Department that he gave almost thirty years to, provided an honor guard and an Engine transported his casket to the national cemetery where he was buried. It was a fitting tribute and I am thankful that The Fire Department was allowed to pay its respects. He would have loved that. Above is the last photo that we took with him. We will miss him dearly.

On September 4th almost 18 months of Paramedic training officially came to the end. I tested out in front of the Medical Director and was officially recognized by my Fire Department as a Paramedic. It was a great feeling to be finally finished with the Provisional program I started in June. I took a written exam and did a table top scenario based practical exam and I passed with flying colors. I know that my training has not really ended. It has just begun. There is so much to learn. I now go out on the streets and work on my own. I will continue to learn and study as the field of emergency medicine is forever evolving.
Soon after testing out we loaded up the van and traveled to Mississippi as a family to celebrate my little brothers achievement. He received his Pilots Wings in The United States Air Force after 52 weeks of Pilot training. My Brother has had a dream to fly Fighter jets since he was about five or six years old and for those that know him, realize what a hard dream this was to finally fulfill. God has graced him with tremendous courage and endurance and perseverance to get to where he is today. We are all so proud of what he has done and thank God for making a little boys dreams come true. Not only did he get his wings but He graduated top of his class . He receivied multiple awards for performance. He also got his assignment. After some more training, He willbe flying the premier jet in the USAF today, The F22 Raptor. That is so amazing. We could not be more proud of him and his service to this country. We all got the chance to help pin the wings on his chest and it was such a great moment. I remember him wanting to do everything with me and my friends when he was a little kid. As a typical big Brother I was not always very nice to him. At times I treated him pretty bad. I guess in a way I helped toughen him up for his future. I would like to think that anyway. Dave I love you Brother. I am so proud of the man you have become and the service to our country that you are providing. You are an American Hero and I feel safer knowing that you are on the front lines protecting me and my family. May God Bless you and keep you safe in your journey.
I almost forgot. I would like to wish my Mom and Dad Happy Anniversary today. 38 years of marriage. They have been such a great example to Kim and me. Thanks Mom and Dad!!

2 comments:

MaLeah said...

Hello! I have been following your journey ever since you were waiting to pick up Hannah, so it has been a long time! I think I wrote to your wife once, after you guys got back. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I just love your family. You guys seem so sweet and I can tell you love each other dearly, even though I don't know you all personally. I look forward to keeping up with you while you are in China! I nearly hyperventilated when I saw that you were in China---I thought you were adopting again or something! I was getting excited there for a minute! Maybe, one day? :) Take care! Sincerely, MaLeah from TN

Kim said...

Hi Baby...
I just wanted to publicly congratulate you on your amazing achievement. It's been a LONG road and you have emerged victorious. Since you are so humble I thought I'd brag on you a little...

Everyone...Pete did so well on his evaluation that the medical director said he'd never seen it done better...he told him that Pete should be training other paramedics. That is AWESOME!

I am so proud of you Pete...you are a wonderful husband, fantastic daddy and gifted paramedic. God has blessed you with so much to give and blessed us with you!

Please always know that through good times and bad we love you beyond words and we are so very very proud of you!

Happy Birthday on Wednesday daddy!

Love,
Your adoring wife (and daughter)
xoxoxoxoxoxo