Monday, June 2, 2008

Mermaids and little Toes


Hannah and I had some fun in the pool today. I didn't have any photos of Hannah in the pool yet this year so we took some video and a couple of pictures. Hannah even took a couple herself. I took a chance letting a three year old take pictures with a $300 camera by the pool but I went with it. What in the world was I thinking? She took a great shot of the pool and and one of her little mermaid Ariel that I just had to share. It showed her perspective and I think they are pretty good photos also.
She is really loving the pool. She giggles and plays nonstop. Kim will be taking her for swim lessons later this month. I can't wait. We really want her to be confident without anything keeping her afloat. I am not going to stress out about it. She will learn in her time. I know it will just give us some added peace of mind. Lord knows we all need some of that these days.


She has really been cracking us up with her vocabulary lately. She is learning how to use larger words and in the right context. She was even saying some of her chinese words today. She loves that show "Ni Hao Kai Lan". It is on Nick Jr. It is a pretty good show. We try not to let her watch too much but, she has learned a lot from it. Check out the video. As soon as the camera came out I had to prompt her a little, but she really does know most of the words that they go over on that show. I wanted to thank you guys for the comments and emails. I am glad there are people that are enjoying the blog. It has been fun.

3 comments:

Cristie said...

Love that~ Our Maliah loves Kai Lan too! Funny how I can barely understand what she is saying and yet somehow, not only does she understand but picks it up. She will tell me in Chinese every night "I love you" and it melts my heart. Lately we have started to tell her her story while we read. When you ask her now, "Where are you from" she will say "Xuwen, China". I will ask her "when did Mommy and Daddy come and get you" and she'll respond "on a plane when I was a baby". She will also list all her little friends who came home with her from Xuwen. I know she doesn't understand yet what all that means but I never want there to be a day where we sit and have "the talk" rather it was just always a part of our conversation. We tell her all the time that God made her extra special and he chose me to be her Mommy and that makes me extra special too. She will recite all that back to me. She's only 2 1/2 but our time is coming that all of that will become hers and hers to understand. Our prayer is that she will see that the Lord created her perfectly for us! He knew from the beginning of time that he would grow her in her birth Mommy's womb but that we would be the ones who would have the opportunity to raise and love her. Just as he knows every hair on her head, he also knows all her days and how they are written. I hope that she grabs a hold of that truth and find strength and identity in Christ alone and his truths!
So fun reading Daddy and Hannah stories. You are all blessed! What a little cutie
Cristie Martine
www.journeytomaliah.com

Pete said...

Cristie, Thanks for your comments. We are doing virtually the same, talking to Hannah about how we became a family. She is starting to ask those questions so we make it like you said regular conversation.
It is interesting that you said Malia understands the words and picks them up. Do you notice they don't seem to have a problem with the tones either? They seem to get the sounds right every time. I guess hearing the language for a year is forever embedded. I wish there were more outlets in our area for her to learn Chinese though.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Hannah is adorable...but of course I am Grandma. You have a talent with writing....and Hannah has a talent in front of the camera. I hope she continues to learn Chinese. It will be very helpful to her someday when she wants to visit China. Keep doing what you're doing...Hannah is just blossoming. Love from CAP.