Monday, July 28, 2008

The first day of camp was a success!

It was the longest day of nonstop kid chasing fun that I think I ever have had. Of course I was up all night before it all started. We met for breakfast at 7:30am. We received our camp itinerary and we headed to assembly. We had an orientation which explained when our buddies would be coming to camp, the sleeping arrangements, needs of the kids, Rules of the camp etc. There are only two rules for the kids. Nobody is allowed to leave campus during the week and never leave your buddies. Of course those rules sometimes are broken with these little ones. The campers started arriving at around noon. They were mostly special needs but they all were bright and cheerful. One little girl about 5 or 6 arrived with major scars on her face from serious burns she suffered as a baby. Her nose and lips are gone. You wouldn't know it though, She is such an outgoing princess with such a beautiful spirit. There are 80 of those stories today as that is how many kids are in camp. We waited until 4pm until the last batch of kids arrived and our little buddies arrived. Dominic 12 and Stone 17 got of the bus and they were obviously tired having taken a 4 hour van ride to the camp. Stone has down syndrome but he is the sweetest little boy. He understands some English too. He is also very self sufficient and helpful. He is full of Joy. I think some of the pictures show that. Dominic is 12. According to his report he is not special needs but he has displayed many behavioral issues. He has already run away from us, hit us head butted a female translator and scratched my arm. Even with all that he is a great little kid and he actually is sweet. I have been seeing the silver lining in him in every moment together today. He has hugged me, rubbed my back and has shown compassion to his fellow orphans. He is aleader and is very protective of the weaker ones. He takes care of himself entirely and is not used to structure. He is a great artist and is extremely intelligent. I know that we will have a major breakthrough with this little boy. We will see him bare his raw emotions and he will see ours. Not to take anything away from my Stoney boy he is such a sweet kid. When he sees us he lights up. What an enjoyable and loving soul he is. When he sees that I am not liking something on my plate he will give something to me off of his and take mine. He cracks me up. .....Honestly guys I could go on forever but i am totally wasted now. I will let the pictures and video do all of the talking. Love you guys. Good Night!!! eating luch with the boys.
Some of the kids arriving at camp


6 comments:

Kim said...

Baby...words cannot begin to express my emotions right now. When I saw the pictures of your boys and read your words about Dominic...the picture of him eating at the table with the tiniest grin...you're right...you WILL have a major breakthrough with him. I can see it in his eyes. There's just so much I'm sure he has been through. I love you so much Pete. I am so proud of what you are doing. My heart is overflowing right now. And Stone....what a sweet sweet spirit. I just want to give him a hug. Please give them both one from me.

I love you honey. PLEASE get some sleep. You need to take care of yourself so you don't get sick!

Love you baby,
Kimmie and Hannnah JOY
xoxoxoxoxooxoox

Heather said...

I have no words ... amazing! Tears in my eyes ... amazing! God is good ... amazing! (okay so I have a few words, ha)

For those of us follwoing along would we be bold enough, trusting enough to pray - Jesus break my heart for the things that break yours. It's risky and it leads us to places outside our comfort zone to those who NEED to see, hear and feel the love of Jesus!

Pete may you be blessed beyond anything you can imagine as you pour yourself out to these kids!

Much love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Peter,
What a wonderful act of love and kindness.....you are so blessed. These boys are adorable. I wish i could be with you. I do feel as though i am. Dad is also so impressed. They will be so touched by you. God surely is with you. All of our Love. Mom and Dad
Be sure to sleep....don't get sick. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Peter,
What are the children eating in the video...it looks like a large dumpling or a rice ball. We are curious! Love Mom & Dadxxx

Pete said...

Love you guys, I am doing great and feeling great and losing weight the food is all chinese all of the time and it is different than we ever expierenced even when we adopted. The boys are eating a doughy bread that is very bland but they love it. I have to stop stone because he eats like three with every meal.

Anonymous said...

Pete

If you search out Chris from Canada he can neither read or write very good so we await your blogs with excitement to see the children's faces and see the love on your face . Your love will touch many over there as well as the world.
Elizabeth