Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Metamorphosis has begun

" I'm finding myself at a loss for words and the funny thing is that's OK. The last thing I need is to be heard, but to hear what you are saying, word of God speak, would you pour down like rain washing my eyes to see your majesty, to be still and know that your in this place and let me stay and rest in your holiness. Word of God speak." I have never heard these words ring more true in my life. I always liked this song from Mercy Me but I never let the words sink in and take hold of me. God has thrown so much at me this week, I feel stronger than ever. God is changing these kids while he transforms me as well. This is an amazing experience. It has been even harder than going to China for Hannah. Hannah was such an easy baby and has continued to be a Joy in our lives. I am so missing my baby girl. Every time I hug these kids or hold their hands I am thinking of her. Hannah.. if Mommy reads this to you, please know that You were so well cared for in your SWI. You were obviously loved and cared for so well. Some of these children have not been so blessed. Please pray with Mommy for these kids that He will provide them safety, comfort an nourishment once they go back to their orphanage and until they can possibly be adopted. Kimmie, Thanks for being such a fantastic Mommy to our Hannah. She is so blessed to have you as her Mother. You are also a great wife. I have not always shown you how much I appreciate you but please know that you are directly responsible for me being here. You helped lead me to Christ, you have obeyed God and you have let us adopt our daughter. I do not where I would be if you never came into my life. so thank you, I Love you. My little Dominic is in desperate need on dental care. He has very bad tooth decay and painful sore inside his mouth. I have been giving him Tylenol for pain and I am taking him to a Chinese clinic tomorrow. He has really started to transform. He has only ran away from us twice today but he knows the schedule and he shows up for the next ac tivity right on time. He is so smart, he is used to being his own boss. He is smiling more and more now and when I hugged him today, it was a little tentative but he definitely hugged back. I keep telling him I love him in Chinese. Most of the time he won't look at me but today he just gave me a yeah right look. That is progress. I am so excited to say that I can see God working in this kid. three more days with him should really show us more of them. Stone has been an absolute doll except for the fact that he is so strong. He nearly drowned me today, accidentally of course. He just grabs you so hard in the pool when he gets nervous. Thank God all of these kids are in life vests which is a godsend because it would be so difficult to have all of these kids who can't swim without them. Most have never been exposed to swimming much less in a chlorinated pool. Sorry to get off track. Stone has been so easy to manage. He is like having a helper because he will yell at Dominic if he misbehaves. Dominic also takes care of him. Stone likes to eat and Dominic will give him food off of his plate. Stone also likes to steal food off of my plate. I let him because I am not eating allot of my food. It is pretty good but it is getting a little old. It is real Chinese with no western influence of taste whatsoever so I am missing some good home cooked food. Mom, I am putting in my order for some eggplant parmigiana.I would also love a steak right now. The cafe has been virtually unavailable to us since we have been with the kids but I am taking my family to it tomorrow for an American meal of hamburgers, Cokes and fries for dinner. I hope they will like it. They are excited about going. It is not something they typically allow at camp because it is not possible for eighty kids to go to a restaurant. I have found favor with the staff here though and they even made a vague proposition of being on staff as a Paramedic for future camps. If it is formally presented I will prayerfully consider it. I was honored that it was even mentioned to me. Some of the highlights of today was playing at the water park that we built and the pool. It is a gorgeous pool and the kids as well as us look foreword to it. Craft time is a little long. The boys do there crafts in about a half hour but get antsy quickly. They want to run and jump and play.....I am pretty lost for more words at this point. I will post pictures and videos from yesterday and today soon so check back. I love you all. Thanks so much for your comments. I wish I had time to answer them. Please know that it brightens my day to read them and I have read and cried over most of them, so keep them coming. They are like candy for the soul. Please continue in prayerful thought for me. I am pretty healthy physically and emotionally, I slept last night pretty solidly and am full of energy even though I have been running constantly. Please pray for my foot. I hurt it and I am having trouble bearing all of my weight on it. I think it is just bruised. I must have strained it sometime falling off the water slide or being drowned by Stone in the pool Ha Ha Ha!!! But I will press on. I shall not waiver! :)))


This was Dominic and assembly last night. It was such a joy watching him smile and laugh.
Stone and his friend singing after playing at the water park today.
Dominic was laughing at the way I used Chopsticks today so he taught me and I captured some of it on video. Thanks so much Dominic for teaching me about your culture. You are a sweet little boy in a hardened shell. You will break out of it.. It is starting to crack now.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Pete-
Again I enjoyed today's post. Sounds like God is working hard there in both your life in in those of both Stone and Dominic. I laughed at what you wrote about the boys finishing their crafts in 30 minutes (I am sure you are being generous here) and wanted to run and jump and play. I teach all boys (4th grade) so I am so in touch with that emotion!!!
Can't wait to read about how they boys enjoy their American meal.
We'll be praying for healing of your foot and for the rest of your week.
Blessings-The Barkers

Debbie said...

Pete,
I love reading your journals. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Your words & photos make me smile. I know God is doing wonderful things through you for these kids. We love you. We're praying for you. We can't wait to see you on Saturday.
Love & hugs,
Debbie

Kim said...

OH BABE..
First of all...the tears are just dripping down my face...thank you so much for your very sweet words. I love you so much Pete. You are the best husband and most outstanding daddy to our baby girl. I could not be prouder or more in love with you as I am at this moment. You are an inspiration to me... the changes I've seen in you over the past few months have really touched my heart. Those boys are blessed to be called "your family" for even only a week! I am praying for Dominic...I know that God is going to do a work in him. I am also praying for Stoney boy (what a sweet soul he is) and your translator and of course you for HEALTH, safety, rest and healing in your foot. I love you honey.

Love Always,
Kimmie and HJ
xoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

ps I forgot to tell you..the other day we were visitng Cheryl at Let's Eat and there was a pregnant lady by us. Hannah looked at her and said to me "Does she have a baby in her belly? (THANK GOD she did!!) and I said "Yes, she does". She said "I wasn't in your belly, I was born in China". The look on that lady's face was priceless. I told her "Yes, Hannah, that's right. You were born in China and then Daddy and I came to get you". Of course last night at dinner she asked why she wasn't born in my belly and I told her because God had her be born in China and then we came to get her. My sweet baby!

Laurie said...

LOVED all the videos- they are great, and you can tell the kids are all having a blast. I bet you'll be so exhausted by the end of camp but will have memories to last a lifetime- just like the first China trip! God bless- keep up the great work!

iamcanuck1 said...

Pete,
God has found an awesome tool, and you are it! This is just awesome. My prayers are with you, Kimmie and Hannah. Our son Chris is at the camp in NanChang. He is with the Canadian Team. 18 from Owen Sound, Ontario. He will be going to your camp on Saturday. We have not heard from him or the rest of the team, but reading your blogs makes us feel as though we are there. In spirit, we are.
As Dominic expands the level of trust between the two of you, he will come around and the change will be awesome. Get ready for the greatest ride of your life.
Blessings, Andre (iamcanuck1)

Anonymous said...

Pete,
Bring that little boy home....we'll raise him. I love you and am very proud.
I don't think I could handle the food. I would have to go find a McDonald's. Dad

Anonymous said...

Peter,
Dominic and Stone are so adorable. It is obvious that with each passing day..they are becoming happier and happier. What a little hope and love can do for a child!!! You are quite loved and admired. I hope your foot is feeling better. I will ask Jesus to watch over you and help with Stone and Dominic. All my love...your Momxxxxx.

Cristie said...

Pete

I LOVE reading your updates! I am so excited to hear camp is going so well. What a glimpse at what the Lord can do through each of us if we just say "yes" when we're called to do something for him . You have stepped out of your comfort zone and it is such an inspiration to read how he is using you to love on these very special kids! I will continue to lift you in prayer and for the healing of your foot!
Tell Bill I'm praying for him too!